Summer time has arrived, and that means there’s more opportunities than ever to get outside and enjoy the sunshine by yourself, with friends, or with your family. When exercising in the summer, don’t forget the importance of hydration and protecting your skin from the powerful sun rays. Depending on where you live, you may need to plan your physical activities to avoid the hottest parts of the day. Exercising in extreme heat can be dangerous if you’re not adequately prepared and hydrated.
Short on ideas of what to do this summer? We’re here to help you out. Here are some of our favorite summer activities for everyone you enjoy being active with.
Individual Summer Fitness
With warmer weather, the opportunities for fitness in the summer are plentiful. When you’re enjoying your exercise time to yourself only you can decide how you most enjoy it. Oftentimes, we fall into our favorite forms of fitness and don’t branch out to try new activities or challenge new muscles. This summer, challenge yourself to:
- Try Something New: Exercising in a different way than you typically do is a fun and oftentimes challenging way to work different muscles and movements in your body. Consider classes you could take online or in your area or try a sport you’ve always wanted to play.
- Challenge Your Limits: If you’re a regular exerciser, you need to increase the intensity of your workouts over time in order to avoid a fitness plateau. And challenging yourself at any stage of your fitness journey can be a powerful and rewarding experience. Try out something you’ve never done before, whether it’s an activity (like rowing or an organized race) or a personal goal (like a distance travelled or a one-rep max).
Fitness With Friends
Having external motivation to get active in the form of friends who work out with you is an effective way to stay accountable. And having a friend in on your activity means you can motivate each other and reach for higher fitness goals.
- Circuit Drills: When you’re working out with one or more people, pool your equipment resources to create a circuit of various high-intensity exercises.
- Pickup Sports Games: If you have a big enough group of friends together, grab a ball and play a game together. Sports like basketball, soccer, volleyball, and others can challenge your muscles in new ways. Even if you’re playing casually, you might notice that you’re working muscles you don’t regularly target.
Fitness With Family
Depending on the age and interests of your family members, many of the activities you can do with friends are also relevant to families! Exercising with your family is a fun and fulfilling way to get your workout in while also bonding with your loved ones.
- Family Bike Ride: Whether you have your own bikes or have an opportunity to rent them for a day, going for a bike ride is an easy way to get out of the house and go on an adventure together.
- Family Hike: Going for a hike or long walk together as a family is a low-impact and accessible way to include the whole family in your fitness. Add some excitement to your hikes by geocaching or playing a family game like ‘I Spy’.
Here at ViGOR FiTNESS, we’re working together to create a fitness lifestyle. Head over to our blog to find more information and tips for building your regularly active life.